Image+1-min.jpg

Memory Bookmarking

The University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research proposed a new data collection method called “Memory Bookmarking (MB)” which is designed to reduce recall burden for respondents, and improve the quality of the data they provide to researchers studying human behavior.

Image 1-min.jpg
 This project posed a unique challenge because it crossed mediums using both SMS and browser-based interfaces.

This project posed a unique challenge because it crossed mediums using both SMS and browser-based interfaces.

 "MB" collects real-time reports, aka “markers”, via smartphones about participants’ current situation, and later presents these “markers” as retrieval cues to help the respondents better remember and report more information about related events.

"MB" collects real-time reports, aka “markers”, via smartphones about participants’ current situation, and later presents these “markers” as retrieval cues to help the respondents better remember and report more information about related events.

  Deliverables:  I led the ideation of the product that involved the design of the frontend and backend functionality. I created the sitemap, user flows, user journey, and wireframes. I also ran various user testing sessions and iterated the design based on findings.

Deliverables: I led the ideation of the product that involved the design of the frontend and backend functionality. I created the sitemap, user flows, user journey, and wireframes. I also ran various user testing sessions and iterated the design based on findings.

  My contribution  to the team was to ensure the following:  The product was easy to use, while still working within research and budgetary requirements  The flow charts clearly communicated system functionality to ensure the developer and client were in sync with technical details and user experience  The overall user takeaway matched the research goals  The user experience was optimized on a mobile platform by using user-centered research

My contribution to the team was to ensure the following:

The product was easy to use, while still working within research and budgetary requirements

The flow charts clearly communicated system functionality to ensure the developer and client were in sync with technical details and user experience

The overall user takeaway matched the research goals

The user experience was optimized on a mobile platform by using user-centered research

Image 6-min.png